The five-hour I Am the Highway: A Tribute to Chris Cornell concert last night (Wednesday) at The Forum in L.A. featured more than 20 vocalists singing more than 40 songs, all but a handful originally sung by Cornell.
The event honored Chris Cornell’s legacy and contribution to music and raised over $1-million for the Chris and Vicky Cornell Foundation and The Epidermolysis Bullosa Medical Research Foundation, a charity Cornell supported.
The show was presented by Chris’ wife, Vicky Cornell, family and close friends. Jimmy Kimmel hosted.
Drummer Matt Cameron (Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, Temple of the Dog) was the first to speak about what Cornell meant to them and to music. He said he didn't think he had the strength to pull off a tribute to Cornell, but found it after listening to a number of Soundgarden albums. Speaking about Cornell, he said, "I heard his voice and I found my strength."
Others who shared personal reminiscences during the evening included Dave Grohl, Taylor Hawkins, Vicky Cornell, Lily Cornell Silver and, via video, Jimmy Page. Cornell's Audioslave bandmate Tom Morello addressed Cornell, saying "Chris, your life will never be outshined," while his Temple of the Dog colleague Stone Gossard said, "Here we are now with this pain, this loss, this anger. Here we are without our leader. What would Chris do?"
Introductions were provided by such celebrities as Brad Pitt, Josh Brolin, John Carter Cash and Jack Black. Also spotted at the show: Leonardo DiCaprio, Christian Bale, Tom Hanks, Courteney Cox, Cameron Crowe, Kaley Cuoco and David Spade.
Here are the setlist and performers:
The Melvins (Buzz Osborne, Dale Crover, Steven Shane McDonald, Jeff Pinkus)
- “Kicking Machine”
- “With Your Heart Not Your Hands”
- “Heart of Honey”
- “The Promise”
Nikka Costa and Alain Johannes
- “Disappearing One”
- “The Keeper”
Foo Fighters (Dave Grohl, Taylor Hawkins, Nate Mendel, Pat Smear, Chris Shiflett, Rami Jaffee)
- “No Attention”
- “Earache My Eye”
- “Girl You Want”
- “Everlong (Acoustic)”
- “Rusty Cage”
Adam Levine, Jesse Carmichael, and Stone Gossard
- “Two Drink Minimum”
Audioslave (Tom Morello and Brad Wilk)
- “Cochise” (with Geezer Butler and Perry Farrell)
- “Be Yourself” (with Geezer Butler and Juliette Lewis)
- “Set It Off” (with Chris Chaney, Sam Harris and Tim Mcllrath)
- “Like A Stone” (with Chris Chaney and Brandi Carlile)
- “Show Me How To Live”(with Robert Trujillo and Dave Grohl)
Toni Cornell and Ziggy Marley
- “Redemption Song”
Metallica (James Hetfield, Lars Ulrich, Kirk Hammett, and Robert Trujillo)
- “All Your Lies”
- “For Whom The Bell Tolls”
- “Master of Puppets”
- “Head Injury”
Ryan Adams (Daphne Chen, Richard Dodd, Eric Gorfain, Leah Katz, Don Was)
- “Dead Wishes”
- “Fell On Black Days”
Temple of the Dog
- “Preaching the End of the World” (Nikka Costa, Alain Johannes, Stone Gossard, Brendan O’Brien, Josh Taylor)
- “Can’t Change Me” (Nikka Costa, Alain Johannes, Stone Gossard, Eric Avery, Josh Freese)
- “Hunted Down” (William DuVall, Jerry Cantrell, Stone Gossard, Jeff Ament, Josh Freese)
- “All Night Thing” (Fiona Apple, Brendan O’Brien, David Garza, Jeff Ament, Matt Chamberlain)
- “Reach Down” (Miguel, Nikka Costa, Stone Gossard, Brendan O’Brien, Jeff Ament, Matt Cameron)
- “Say Hello 2 Heaven” (Miley Cyrus, Brendan O’Brien, Stone Gossard, Jeff Ament, Josh Freese)
- “Hunger Strike” (Brandi Carlile, Chris Stapleton, Stone Gossard, Brendan O’Brien, Jeff Ament, Matt Cameron)
Soundgarden (Kim Thayil, Ben Shepherd, and Matt Cameron)
- “Rusty Cage” (with Taylor Momsen)
- “Flower” (with Marcus Durant)
- “Outshined” (with Marcus Durant and Stone Gossard)
- “Drawing Flies” (with Taylor Momsen, Buzz Osbourne, Matt Demeritt and Tracy Wanamae)
- “Loud Love” (with Taylor Momsen, Tom Morello and Wayne Kramer)
- “I Awake” (with Taylor Hawkins and Buzz Osbourne)
- “The Day I Tried to Live” (with Taylor Hawkins and Buzz Osbourne)
- “Black Hole Sun” (with Brandi Carlile, Peter Frampton, Tim Hanseroth and Phil Hanseroth)
- Feedback (Kim Thayil and Ben Shepherd)
Here's a video compilation of the show from Rock Feed......